Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Identify Winning Stocks

I read a book once titled “If you don’t know where your going, you’ll probably end up somewhere else.” How does this pertain to my work? We want to focus on stocks that are in the 95th percentile or above in terms of performance, hopefully that is where we are going.  This post will explain how to identify stocks in past years from the 95th percentile, in addition we will highlight the performance you can expect from the market itself.

Understanding Yearly Performance of Stocks:

  • Use Microsoft Excel with the data sources mentioned in a previous post
  • Utilize January 1st as measuring day (if market is open)
  • Complete for past 10 years
Below are the top ten performing stocks from each year for the past 12 years:

That took a little while to put together, if anyone would like the actual table don't hesitate to ask instead of trying to copy and paste the picture. I'm all for conserving time/energy! In the same vein, if I am doing something on this site that you have already accomplished let me know!

A QUICK WARNING!! This is the "SURVIVOR" data set, meaning I used a current list of symbols to generate this list.  Stocks had to make it to present day to be included on this list which means you can expect the average returns that I provide here positively biases and I could also be missing a few stocks from the list.

In the next post I will take a more in depth look at the data set to understand expected returns over the period .

No comments:

Post a Comment