Friday, March 4, 2011

Welcome

Hi All,

In case the name of the blog doesn't give it away, the goal of this blog is to track my journey in the stock market.  I will be trying to earn enough money from stocks to live off for the rest of my life. A complication here is that I would prefer not to discuss how much money I start with, so for simplicities sake we will assume I have 100k in the bank and use that to review whether or not I could make a living off the cash outflow.

First, let me apologize for my poor writing skills. I would never claim to be talented, nor even proficient at writing it is only a means to transmit thoughts. But enough of that, I would like to start with some ground truths that I truly and deeply believe in.

First, I believe that the market can be beaten, and beaten mightily. Countless individuals have done this from the early well known investors such as Jesse Livermore, Bernard Baruch, and John Maynard Keynes, to the equally well known George Soros, Steven Cohen and of course Warren Buffet. All of these individuals year in and year out do something that you supposedly cannot in efficient markets, make more money(or lose less) than everyone else. They run the gamut from short term traders to long term "investors". All have on thing in common though, they see an opportunity and go after it, even if it is not the popular course to follow.

Second, I believe the answer on how this can be accomplished can be found in the data. Although I will not go into depth on stating why this is the case, an example can be found in the work of William O'Neil (the found of IBD and a massively winning investor) or David Dreman. Before these extremely successful traders put on trades they understood both the macroeconomic theory they were investing in and the microeconomic stock picture. I believe that this understanding and focus was one of their most critical assets and one of the main defining quality that I have connected among leading investors. They focus on the most important data, understand as much as they can about what it means, act appropriately and immediately.

My next post will highlight how I go about figuring out what data is most important, and how to analyze it. I expect to get into a discussion(with myself) regarding how the stock market actually works (which I know little about).

Best of luck to all investing! Also, any feedback on this is more than welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment